Want to enjoy your sauso rolls without the meat? No problemo. These vegan ones will tick all the boxes.
Plant-based ‘sausage’ rolls
Recipe by Simon Hill, @plant_proof
Calories: 594 kcal
- 2 plant-based burger patties (I use the Organic Village Burger Patties but if you can’t get these any plant-based mince or pattie will work!)
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- ½ tsp cumin optional
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- dash of water if required
- 1 sheet vegan puff pastry (it might be tricky to find a specifically vegan puff pastry, but a lot of the major ones are actually naturally vegan as they use margarine instead of butter! Be sure to check the ingredients list)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (or use a non-stick pan if you want these oil-free!)
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. In a large mixing bowl mash up the two burger patties until you achieve a paste-like consistency, you can add a dash of water if required.
3. Heat a small fry pan with olive oil, add onions until soft and add garlic. Once soft and translucent take them off the heat and allow to cool slightly.
4. Once the onions and garlic have cooled add them to your mince and stir until the mixture is all combined.
5. Add panko crumbs, cumin (optional) and salt and pepper.
6. Cut your pastry sheet in half and place half of the mince mixture along the centre of the pastry.
7. Brush the edge of the dough with a tad of olive oil and roll and seal the pastry and brush the entire thing with olive oil again.
8. Repeat the process with the remaining mix
9. Place on a lined baking tray and bake until pastry is golden and flaky. Serve with your favourite condiment!