It’s being touted as the trendiest diet of the year, proven to help with dramatic weight loss, skin problems and gut issues. But the general consensus around the keto diet is that it’s either a) tasteless; or b) quite sickening since you have to live off nothing but fats, nearly no fruit, and a very limited amount of veggies.
However, scrap every idea you have about the keto diet, because enjoying delicious meals on the diet isn’t as hard as you think… especially with this miso steak dish in your repertoire. With over 38 grams of protein and only 9 grams of carbs, your body and tastebuds will be thanking you. It’s also low in saturated fat, and best of all, only takes 20 minutes to dish up.
Miso steak and cooked slaw
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
- 100 g beef steak (rump)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 100 g brussel sprouts finely sliced
- 1/2 cup cabbage (red) finely shredded
- 1 cup kale destemmed and leaves finely sliced
- 1.5 teaspoons tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/4 avocado
1. Combine miso paste and 1 teaspoon (5ml) of warm water together until it forms a spreadable consistency. Rub miso mixture all over the rump steaks. Drizzle with half of the olive oil.
2. Place a medium frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the miso steaks and cook for 3–4 minutes on each side for medium-rare or until cooked to your liking. Set aside, covered with foil, to rest for 5 minutes. Cut into 1cm thick slices. Wipe the pan clean with a paper towel.
3. Place the same frying pan back over a medium-high heat and add the remaining olive oil. Add the garlic, Brussels sprouts, cabbage and kale and cook stirring for 2–3 minutes or until wilted. Add the tamari and apple cider vinegar and cook for a further 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Fold through the sesame seeds. Remove from the heat.
4. Serve the miso steak and winter slaw with the avocado.
For more keto recipes, these are the low-carb one-bowl wonders you need in your life, and 5 desserts that are so satisfying.
Know someone who would find this interesting? Share this article with them!