I don’t think you should ever feel like you are going without when undertaking a healthier lifestyle! Life is too short not to still enjoy epic flavour and taste sensations that we know and love.
This crispy fish recipe is for all those who might be craving some deep fried goodness, but are looking for a healthier alternative. Which means using my gluten free grain free, nut free, low carb crumb and frying in my Incredible Coconut Oil for added health benefits.
My Luke Hines 10 Program Recipes are all designed to make eating healthy food always taste delicious, not to mention super quick, easy and affordable.
Crispy Coconut Crumbed Fish and Avocado Smash
- 150g white fish, skin off (barra, whiting, hoki, snapper)
- 1 free-range egg whisked
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour or tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut or almond meal
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika or other favourite spice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried herbs parsley
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil for frying
- 1 cup fresh leafy greens mixed lettuce
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil to drizzle
- 1 teaspoon lemon or lime juice to squeeze
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar to dress
- 1 tablespoon fermented vegetables to serve
- 1/2 avocado, smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- salt to season
- cracked pepper to season
- Heat your fry-pan over medium heat and melt the Incredible Coconut Oil ready for frying.
- Create three stations of mixing bowls: one for your arrowroot flour, one for your whisked eggs,and one for the desiccated coconut or almond meal, dried herbs and spices of your choice.Press the fish fillet into the arrowroot flour, making sure to coat both sides well.
- Now transfer to the egg wash bowl briefly, making sure you get full coverage.
- Allow any excess egg wash to drip off before finally dunking in your crumbing combination.
- Place your coconut crumbed fish in the hot fry pan and cook on each side for 4-5 minutes, making sure to get a lovely golden brown exterior and cooking through.
- Once cooked, remove from the heat and set aside to prepare your salad.
- Dress your mixed greens with the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar.
- Serve your fish along side your salad, fermented vegetables, smashed avocado with some chilli flakes and enjoy.
For more recipes from Luke Hines, try his NYC cheese burger bowl, or his brunch pizza.