I believe pizza is something you should enjoy any time of day and I think this recipe makes the perfect brunch!
Everything you love about breakfast, combined with that pizza you want for lunch? You’ve got yourself a brunch pizza. You’re welcome.
Perfect pizza recipe
- 2 zucchini, grated and squeezed of excess liquid
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 roma tomato, sliced
- 2 streaky bacon rashers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves
- 1 handful of rocket leaves
- 2 tablespoons nut cheese or goats cheese (optional)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a pizza tray with baking paper.
- Add the zucchini, coconut flour, Italian herbs, salt and two of the eggs to a bowl and mix together well to form a batter. Mould into the prepared pizza tray and bake for 6–8 minutes, or until par-baked.
- Remove the base from the oven and spread the tomato paste evenly over the surface. Lay over the tomato slices and bacon, then carefully crack over the remaining eggs towards the centre to ensure they don’t drip over the side. Transfer to the oven and bake for a further 5 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and top with the basil, rocket and nut or goats cheese (if using). Drizzle over the olive oil and serve.
Zucchini are a great veg – not only are they widely available, inexpensive and seriously versatile in the kitchen, they are also really high in energy-rich B vitamins, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and magnesium, as well as being super low-carb and full of anti-inflammatory compounds.
For more low-carb recipes, you need to try 5 keto desserts that will satisfy your cravings and Low-carb muffins to kickstart your health goals.
Know someone who would find this interesting? Share this article with them!
About Smart Carbs by Luke Hines
There is much confusion when it comes to carbohydrates and weight loss. How low is ‘low carb’? What is a keto diet and how does it work? Luke Hines understands that there is no one-size-fits-all healthy lifestyle plan and in Smart Carbs he demystifies the different approaches to carbohydrates and helps you understand how to make carbohydrates work for you, depending on your own body, lifestyle and weight-loss goals – how to be smarter about eating carbs!
Luke is passionate about creating meals that are packed full of nutrient-dense wholefoods – think seasonal fruits and veggies, sustainable proteins and healthy alternatives to dairy and sugar. It’s not about restricting yourself, but finding equally or MORE delicious substitutes for foods that aren’t so good for you. These delicious, fuss-free meals will help you increase your energy, lose weight and feel happier and healthier than ever before.
In Smart Carbs, the recipes fall into three distinct categories: keto, low carb and sustainable carb, making it easy to construct the perfect meal plan. Every kind of dish is catered for, whether you’re looking for a healthy lunch, an indulgent brunch, ‘Friday night in’ takeaway-style dishes or desserts and cakes to share with the family.
Smart Carbs is available in-stores and online now.