Bernadette Fiser has worked in the beauty industry for over twenty years, though that didn’t help her manage her own skin issues. In her new book ‘The little book of Big Beauty’ she opens up about her challenges with obesity and the health repercussions of not making herself a priority.
Bernadette subsequently began a journey from ‘unhealthy me to curvy-but-definitely-slimmer-and-way-healthier me’ making her feel far more beautiful, inside and out. The knock on effect on her skin was something she didn’t anticipate.
“In essence, I do feel so much better living this way and one of the most common comments that I have received time and again is not only on the weight loss, but also on the fact that my skin is glowing and I look like I have turned the clock back fifteen years,” explains Fiser.
So what are the major nutritional rules this beauty queen lives by?
- Eat whole foods – these are foods that don’t need a label, like vegetables, fruit, fish, etc.
- Consume very little sugar
- Avoid sweet fizzy drinks
- Limit the amount of red meat I eat to once a week and eat small amounts of lean protein like fish and chicken
- Eat a mostly vegetable-based diet with lots of leafy greens
- Eat far fewer processed foods including takeaway
- Eat the whole fruit rather than juicing it, for added fibre
- Eat far fewer processed carbs like pasta and white bread
- Eat good fats like salmon, sardines, avocado and nuts
- Drink green tea over any other tea
- Stay away from ‘diet foods’ and read all my food labels
- Choose wholegrain bread rather than the processed white kind
- Take apple cider vinegar for good gut health
- Stop eating at 7pm and don’t eat till 10am – I am fasting overnight in order to give my body a well-needed break so it has time to repair itself
If you enjoyed this, read about the beginner’s guide to carb-cycling, and the exercise that could actually be making you fat.
Know someone who’d love this? Share it with them!